On Thursday 07 May 2015 09:11:44 Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > If you're using ssh -X or ssh -Y those are unnecessary xhost
> > > entries.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > ISTR I had to do that at some point back in the fog of ancient
> > history. That should not be whats killing me now I would think.  It
> > would be one heck of a regression if thats the case.  OTOH, I was
> > never able to use ssh -X because of a similar error, and now even -Y
> > only works for text terminal's?
> >
> > Thanks Mark.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Gene,
>
> Not sure why you had to do that in the ancient past either.  The -X or
> -Y handles the X connection, the -X setting your display variable on
> the machine, and subjecting the connection to the X11 Security
> extensions by default.  The -Y enables trusted X11 forwarding, and is
> less safe to use than the -X ssh connection since it does "not"
> subject the connection to the Security extensions.
>
> Either way, using the -X or -Y on the command line obviates the need
> for the xhost entries, since that's accomplished via the -X or -Y
> connection. Leaving the machine entries in the xhost list opens that
> machine to malicious attacks from any one of the machines listed.
>
> To troubleshoot ssh connections, try connecting with this next time: #
> ssh -X -vvv <machine>.  The -vvv will give you verbose debugging
> messages while you are trying to connect, and hopefully narrow down
> what is causing the ssh -X or ssh -Y to not connect.
>
> Do you have X11 forwarding enabled in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config?
Humm.  Yes, on all machines.  By doing blink compares, the wheezy based
installs have this added line:

HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key

And the wheezy based machines have that key and a key.pub version of it,
that the 10.04-4 LTS version does not have.

WTH is that?  More to the point, can I nuke that line ?  Commenting it
out and restarting the ssh daemon made no change.