On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> > Gene,
> >
> > Not sure why you had to do that in the ancient past either.  The -X or
> > -Y handles the X connection, the -X setting your display variable on
> > the machine, and subjecting the connection to the X11 Security
> > extensions by default.  The -Y enables trusted X11 forwarding, and is
> > less safe to use than the -X ssh connection since it does "not"
> > subject the connection to the Security extensions.
> >
> > Either way, using the -X or -Y on the command line obviates the need
> > for the xhost entries, since that's accomplished via the -X or -Y
> > connection. Leaving the machine entries in the xhost list opens that
> > machine to malicious attacks from any one of the machines listed.
> >
> > To troubleshoot ssh connections, try connecting with this next time: #
> > ssh -X -vvv <machine>.  The -vvv will give you verbose debugging
> > messages while you are trying to connect, and hopefully narrow down
> > what is causing the ssh -X or ssh -Y to not connect.
> >
> > Do you have X11 forwarding enabled in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config?
> Humm.  Yes, on all machines.  By doing blink compares, the wheezy based
> installs have this added line:
>
> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
>
> And the wheezy based machines have that key and a key.pub version of it,
> that the 10.04-4 LTS version does not have.
>
> WTH is that?  More to the point, can I nuke that line ?  Commenting it
> out and restarting the ssh daemon made no change.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Depends on what protocols you are using.  Here at a US Gummint facility, we
only use the rsa and dsa protocols. and ssh Protocol 2, with only very
strong cipers and hmac-sha1.

Here's the two HostKey lines we use:

# HostKeys for protocol version 2
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

You have to be careful with the keywords used in the sshd_config.  Some
affect the way other keywords work.  Also, some keywords in your ssh_config
(system-wide ssh client file) may conflict with what is allowed in the
sshd_config file, but can be overridden by the command line qualifiers.

Mark