I thought I'd throw this out here because some of the ideas passed around
are really good.  I thought someone might have a helpful suggestion.

I have an application where we need to grind a ball-end on the end of rod
that can be between 0.5 meters to 2 meters long and vary in diameter from
about 1.25mm to 8mm.  Currently, it's done by hand on rotary disk sander.
The material is stainless steel or titanium.

It seems like a solution might be a small cnc'd lathe and bar feeder type
application and it needs to be easy to use and quick.

1.  How do I cut/grind the hemisphere?
I'm thinking a small CNC type lathe should do it?
I read on practicalmachinist.com that for manual lathes they often use a
custom tool at the radius they want to cut, but I have varying radii, so it
didn't seem like that would be a good solution.  Using a CNC would solve
the varying radii problem.  Either a sensor or operator manually enters
dia.

2.  How do I hold and spin the rod?  Especially, w/ differing diameters
that can show up at any time.  Here were some ideas, but they don't handle
the differing diameters?
http://www.processwelding.com/standardLathes.php
http://www.4machining.com/4m-Tooling/Harig-All/Harig-Air-Collet-Closer

What about a large rolling wheel driving against two idlers to rotate the
bar?

3.  Lastly, controlling the whip while the stock is rotating?
I could see a barfeeder type application and then something to keep the rod
from whipping?

Thanks,
Mark