On 6 June 2015 at 01:35, Mark Johnsen <m...@ijohnsen.com> wrote:

> That boring head is unreal and I've never seen anything like it.

I think I have the only one. I made everything down to the motor
stator laminations.

> I like the idea of holding the work piece stationary.  I had thought about
> a XY table w/ rotary on top, but still needed to spin the part.  I have a
> tendency to over-complicate things...

I might have a better idea.

This geometry would work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYaM4FkASA

Forget the XY axes, imagine a mini-lathe rotating slowly under stepper
control where the table is, and the spindle rotating on the saddle.
(no cross-slide, pivot point exactly on the centre line)
Start with the spindle coaxial with the spindle, push the work to the
milling cutter, clamp the chuck then slowly rotate the work while the
spindle swings to 90 degrees.
You would need a "W" feed to alter the working radius.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.