On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 5:42 AM, Alexander Rössler <mail@roessler.systems> wrote:
> No, USB does not work for tablets. At least not for Android tablets. This
> would require root access. However, the next generation Android with the
> automotive interface will probably make this possible even without root
> access.

I am not sure what you're referring to---I did the steps I reported
and it worked on Android 4.2.2.
Perhaps it's the Android X server app that sets up the RNDIS, but it
does work as I described.

> The reason is users complained about LinuxCNC being hard to install (mainly
> because you need a Linux capable computer). With this solution they can use
> wathever OS they prefer. Some reported it even working on Windows Surface
> tablets.

Are you talking about installing LinuxCNC on Windows, and displaying to Surface?
It may work, but don't see the benefit. I have not seen a computer
that is incapable of Linux in a long time; the problem usually is that
people install Linux and find themselves in unfamiliar territory.
However, installing LinuxCNC on Windows, even if it worked, would
probably land them in unfamiliar territory as well; LCNC is not your
typical Windows app.

There are many scenarios for deploying LCNC. Sorry for being Captain
Ovious, but I would recommend one of the following, starting from most
standard/best supported/easiest:

- standard one: x86 PC box, running LCNC, with local display

- like above but with a remote X11 display, either over Ethernet (to a
second PC) or over USB (to a tablet, which I demonstrated in a post)

- embedded LCNC box such as ARM BeagleBone Black (BBB) with a motor
cape, which does not have an integral display, so I recommend a remote
display, same as in the previous case.  BTW, Charlie Steinkuehler and
others work on a LCNC fork called MachineKit that is targeted for
those.

> An additional aspect of the box is that it is extremely portable. When you
> take a look at the UNIMAT machines you see why this a huge plus. They are
> very small and portable. Since it runs also without GUI (detachable) you can
> even work with more than one machine similutaniously.

It's hard to beat BBB for portability; it literally is the size of an
Altoid box (OK, it requires a motor cape so it's a little bigger)