Hi everyone,

when we're talking about buses and interfaces, I'd like to bring up
another topic concerning me recently: We're building some kind of PLC
and motion controller mainly for internal uses, which is built around
FPGAs. Our FPGA configs are crafted specifically for what the devices
need to do, so there is no softcore or other microcontroller around. We
now have a simple serial interface connecting multiple boards using
differential pairs (RS-485-like) for RX and TX, transmitting frames of
some 64 bits each. This works, but is obviously completely proprietary.

Hence the question: Are there standard interfaces (call them buses if
you like, I don't mind) of similar complexity with open specifications
around? I personally like the idea of the summation frame method
(Summenrahmenverfahren in German) as is used by EtherCAT, but this
interface is overkill for us and also not "open" unless you are some
kind of "member". I found Interbus which seems to fit quite ideally,
but, again, is not as open as I'd like it to be and it also looks to be
kind of obsolete.

Rough requirements would be:
- Usable for daisy-chaining (no common bus)
- Data rate somewhere in the range 1Mbps .. 10Mbps
- Serial with exactly one RX and one TX pair in each link
- Suitable for deterministic cyclic transfers with some tens of bytes each

Any ideas, hints, comments?

Regards,
Philipp