On 06/05/2015 01:18 AM, Alexander Rössler wrote:

> Rafael writes:

.... snip

>> In my HW support experience I came across PDP-11 systems running in
>> steel mills, nuclear and hydro power plants, factories, etc. with little
>> or no graphics. Most used VT100, some used more advanced color
>> terminals. Systems with 32kW(ord) or 64kW RAM controlled huge machinery
>> with RTOS on much slower CPU than we have today.
> The future are distributed systems. Distributed setups are industrial
> standard and are used everywhere from automotive to automation
> industry. CAN and Ethernet are used these days to distribute

neither one is suitable for strict real time.

> functionality across different ECUs. The BBB is fine when it comes to
> CAN but an even stronger platform from TI is coming up: the BeagleBoard
> X15 with Gigabit Ethernet support

Don't mix computer BUS and cabling. Two different things. Some cables do
act as traditional extend bus but none at the length of an airplane or
HMMVE.

What good is Gigabit Ethernet when you need to connect a keypad, a
switch, accelerometer, or optical sensor to BBB? Ethernet is not a bus,
it's one of communications peripherals.

> On the other edge of the spectrum we have another low cost solution that
> is currently funded on kickstarter C.H.I.P. a 9$ dollar Linux computer
> with Bluetooth and WLAN => a cheap solution to connect sensors.

This is one of a kind toys that don't make a standard! Nor would anybody
serious use it for a CNC machine.

> I even heard about things like fly-by-wireless. Which boils down to
> removing the wired buses inside a plane.  So face the facts: Big
> monolithic computer setups will soon be banned to server farms.

Most airplanes and modern military vehicles use computers based on
decades of developments on VME bus and it's derivatives because they
need a lot of connections. That likely includes CompactPCI, it's
emerging CompactPCI Serial, and VPX.

As tiny lasers are getting cheaper, cost of building optical bus and
compatible peripherals will become more common in the near future so
we'll see even more data buses.

Every computer in existence has a bus, available or not, for connections
to additional peripherals. There is a bus on BBB, RaspberryPi, Radxa,
and other little SBCs to add peripherals. My comment was about the
problem with every little SBC having different connectors and their
positions on the board while all are using "sandwich mechanical
architecture" that cannot be expanded easily.

Based on what I've seen at Embedded computers trade show this year I can
easily say that "computer data bus" won't go away any time soon. PCIe,
VME, VPX, CompactPCI, PC104 and on and on. Companies are clearly
commiting to support for advanced buses for the next 20 years or more.

--
Rafael