On 6/6/2015 6:46 AM, Alexander Rössler wrote:

> Optical cables have different problems than metal cables. They have more
> problems when it comes to mechanical stress. I am not sure they will
> succeed copper wires that quickly.

With optical and wireless, there still has to be wire to both ends to
provide power. If the power wires can be made to simultaneously carry
high speed serial data, then there's no need for optical fiber or
wireless to carry the data.

Something bandied about in the 80's but AFAIK never implemented for
vehicle systems was a multiplexed power+data bus that would drastically
reduce the amount of wiring in a car.

No more dedicated power circuit runs. Everything would simply connect to
a common power+data bus with computer boxes commanding the various
peripherals to turn on and off or do their more complex operations.

CAN bus ain't that. The amount of wiring in vehicles has only grown and
become ever more complex. Most things still have dedicated power wires,
switched far from the end of the wire runs. Could have been so much less
wiring if everything connected to the body/frame ground and to a single
big wire running point to point around the vehicle.

For adding new devices it could follow the model Texas Instruments used
with their 99-4/A Home Computer. The computer didn't have to know
anything about any device not built into the console. It just had
locations in its memory space where it looked for new devices when
turned on. The peripherals contained the Device Service Routine (what PC
and Mac and Linux call a driver) in ROM which made the device available
to use.

Such a system for a vehicle bus would allow a new device to be patched
in *anywhere* along the wire. The catch is that every device would need
some type of electronics and voltage regulation and an address or ID
number not conflicting with any other device on the bus. TI's expansion
box could hold 7 cards (plus the interface card) but the computer had
more than 7 peripheral addresses available because other devices could
be connected between the console and the "firehose" cable, or a Y
splitter could be used to connect two expansion boxes - if none of the
cards in both boxes had the same address.

What today's technology could bring to a "driverless" system is devices
could be installed without an address and the host computer could
program them to not conflict. DSR's could be flash updated, as they can
on some 3rd party cards being made for the 99-4/A in recent years.

Would've been nice if IBM had copied TI's DSR system for the 5150 PC!
Computers would be so much easier to setup because there would be no
drivers to find and download or go obsolete. TI had perfectly
functioning plug and play 18 years before Microsoft came up with the term.

They sort-of did with MCA but every card required a setup disk- but
after setup there was no way anything with the operating system could
foul up the hardware configuration.

---