On 30 Jun 2015, at 18:01, Dave Caroline wrote:

> I used to drive a capstan for long periods, getting the blade right
> was key to less cleanup work, taper the end but the right amount for
> your material, part drops off no pip, then over travel to clean the
> bar pip. That was in my HSS days.
>
> I have now crossed over to a sandvick insert with is pretty damned
> good even on on a manual lathe
> http://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk/shopscr23.html
> http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/products/t-max_q-cut/Pages/default.aspx

That one gets my vote, for medium-to-large stock. 600rpm would be comfortably
within its range for work up to about 40mm. It's my standard parting off tool.
I switched from HSS some years ago, and have not regretted it. I believe HSS
would provide a keener edge, but the carbide tool forces the chip inwards as it
curls upwards, so it clears it out of the slot very effectively.

I use much smaller and thinner carbide blades for smaller diameters and softer
materials:
the Mini-Thin Grooving and Cut-Off inserts from MSC Industrial. The tips are
fragile and they must be mounted exactly at right angles to the axis, but they
work a treat in thicknesses from 0.5mm to 2mm. I mostly use 1mm with a straight
front to the tip.

Marcus