On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 10:53:58AM -0400, Tom Easterday wrote:

> Also, I believe I can do CSS but don???t really know anything
> about that yet

Using CSS+FPR while parting bar stock makes all the difference in
the world.

Parting at a fixed RPM is terrible.  Your choices are way too fast
at the beginning or way too slow at the end, or most likely, BOTH.
If someone tells you what fixed RPM and IPM to use, thank them
politely and then ignore their advice.

I have always used HSS parting tools and I shoot for a dead flat
grind on the end so the chip comes straight out.  (Some grind it at
an angle to try to leave the pip on the bar and not the part - this
has never really worked for me.)

Make sure it's exactly on center height.