On Tuesday 07 July 2015 13:50:04 Bruce Layne wrote:
> On 07/07/2015 11:08 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> > It looks good apart from being HDMI not VGA.
>
> I've had some issues with VFD noise on VGA monitors and I was actually
> thinking that I'd like to try HDMI to see if it was more noise immune,
> being a digital instead of analog interface protocol.
>
> Given the cost of copper wire lately and the cost reductions possible
> when the complexity is integrated into a very high volume chip that
> can be soldered to a board using automated electronic assembly
> equipment, I'm surprised that a noiseless fiberoptic video/audio
> industry standard hasn't prevailed.
>

> I probably should have bought the D2xxx series motherboards, but I
> standardized on a bunch of D525MW mother boards, based largely on the
> best recommendations from this list at the time.  No doubt Peter is
> correct about their real world jitter, but they seem adequate for my
> simple needs.  I generally have slow stepper based CNC machines. For
> the one lathe project where I'm considering using servos and hi-res
> encoders, I've already purchased a couple of MESA boards.
>
> For my stepper based D525MW powered CNC machines, I promise not to
> watch YouTube videos while machining any more.  :-)  I'm too lazy to
> hook up the oscilloscope and toggle a bit to determine the real world
> jitter, so YouTube is my realtime benchmarking tool.  :-D

Chuckle, I have to admit I have done that too with firefox, plus there is
on the small mill, a copy of konversation running on window 3.

Its about 80% done with the next disk, but I have a suspicion the duty
cycle is going to be above 50%.  Motor brushes are holding up well
today, ammeter sitting at about .125 amps steady.

Cecil: I pulled out a couple of the "supermagnets", and it seems they
fade the instant you manage to get one of them loose from the stack they
are shipped in, stuck to sheet steel, zero problems lifting them back
away.  Sitting on the mount casting, which seems to be ferrous, only
about an ounce of clamp. The weight of the cable has no problem jerking
it loose to fall whereever.  I was a good idea though, and I'll use it
yet when I get the cable where it isn't tugging on it.  But I still have
a hour or more weed eating to do & the back is yelling at me for what I
have done.  And my son will be here in 2-3 hours ack an email I got from
St. Louis this morning. So I'd better bite the bullet and get to it.