In case it might be of interest, I posted some pictures of a Fanuc MPG I
got from eBay:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/fanuc_mpg/

I thought the detent mechanism would be some fancy magnetic system, but
is a simple gear running against a roller and spring. I thought this
would wear quickly, but the MPG is over thirty years old and still looks
like new inside. There is a spring wrapped on the encoder input shaft
which is driven by a pin on the detent disk. This allows for
misalignment between the the two rotating bits. Each mark on the knob is
a complete quadrature cycle. The cycle also has a dead zone such that
the transitions take place at the middle, between the marks, and are
well settled when getting close to resting at a mark/detent. The encoder
has a slotted mounting flange so that it may be rotated to adjust to the
knob markings. This also makes the phase changes close together, so a
slower LinuxCNC software encoder may not be fast enough for reliable
function. Before adjusting the encoder alignment, the knob needs to be
adjusted so that the knob marks align with the detents and face plate
pointer. There are two Allen screws that set the knob to the input
shaft. All screws are metric. The A and B channels seem to have
push-pull drivers and give clean and sharp signals when hooked directly
to inputs without pull-ups or external drivers. The signals are
single-ended (0 and 5 Volts). There is no index channel.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/