Dave,

It might be possible to get a could based VPN service that supports the
phones and other devices in question. The idea is that this are some known
end points that all the devices connect to and establish an ad hoc VPN. I
have not used any of these services and have absolutely no idea of the
bandwidth to expect, but it would be far and away the easiest way to get
devices that are really only end stations to connect to each other.

jerry

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need a fast connection as we want to be able to do remote video and
> also do debugging of the PLC control remotely via the comm link with the
> help of a remote video camera.
>
> One problem that I am having is that Sprint wants to control what device
> I use.   They literally offer one device at a time and the last one was
> a 4G router that only supports VPN Passthrough even though they were
> "sure" that it would support a site to site VPN connection.
> I don't want to have two remote routers or boxes in the cabinet. Cost is
> not a problem.   The Netgear 6100D I have used is $200 and that is
> considered very cheap.  $600 would not be out of line if it can do what
> we want and has a fairly wide temperature range. This device will be in
> a box mounted outside.
>
> I can't use OpenVPN because there is no PC or server at the remote site.
>
> A GSM solution with AT&T would be ideal if they have sufficient coverage
> since swapping out the 4G router would only require swapping the SIM
> card instead of going through the ridiculous device activation routine
> that Sprint and Verizon requires.
>
> I think that AT&T will be my next call.  I've pretty much run out of
> patience with Sprint.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> On 10/16/2015 11:50 PM, Tom Easterday wrote:
> > You didn't say what kind of throughput you need nor what your budget is
> but one option is something like a Cisco RV320 on each end with 4G modems
> attached.  You can see a review of the router here:
> >

> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32317-cisco-rv320-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router-reviewed?limitstart=0
> >
> > There is also a you tube video on configuring the modem:
> http://youtu.be/RXerRGEZFEI
> >
> > I recommended the RV180 for a friend's business that needed sts vpn
> (over public internet, not over cellular) and it worked well for him and he
> said it was easy for them to set up and use.
> >
> > There are of course other more diy setups using cell phones with
> tethering and using OpenVPN or such on your own processors.  But you have
> to be careful as carriers may try to limit or block always on use of
> tethering and data plans may not fit your requirements.  Or you get some
> cellular wifi hotspots and use them with OpenVPN.
> > See:
> >
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/security/security-howto/30353-how-to-set-up-a-site-to-site-vpn-with-openvpn
> >
> >> On Oct 16, 2015, at 3:08 PM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Key points - need help with a data cell phone connection to remote
> >> equipment via a VPN.
> >>
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> I'm working with some remotely located equipment and I need to establish
> >> a comm link to it.
> >>
> >> We have decided to go with a cell phone data connection.   We want to be
> >> able to remotely access this equipment via a "site to site" VPN.
> [...]

Jerry Scharf
FINsix IT
650.285.6361 w
650.279.7017 m