Perhaps I didn't make it clear what is screwing me up technically.  A
few years ago Sprint, Verizon and others would allow incoming
connections to a cell phone modem. They no longer
allow that unless they specifically setup the account to allow that.
So you can't buy a USB 4G dongle, hotspot, etc and establish a remote
connection to it.    By default all incoming connections are
firewalled.  That used to be possible with a generic cell phone
account.  I did it 3-4 years ago with a Verizon and Sprint have both
blocked remote connections to cell devices.    Sprint really clamped
down on that recently after a hacker proved that he could remotely
control a Chrysler car via the cell phone link to the built in cell
system (engineered in conjunction with Sprint).    Sprint at first
denied that they were doing that but after I gave them the IP address
and location of the router that was blocking port requests they fessed
up.    I have since been told by Netgear that Sprint implements this in
their 4G devices by programming the sims in a certain way.    A "Mobile
Originated" Sim is the standard issue for a Sprint 4G device/phone.
If they issue a "Mobile Terminated" sim for the device then that device
can be setup to allow incoming connections.

The suggestion to look at a cloud service has me thinking. Perhaps I
should forget about the cell companies cooperating and setup each remote
site as a client and have it maintain a connection to a server.  Once a
VPN tunnel is established I think we can remotely control whatever
devices are on the client end of the VPN connection also.   I wonder how
much data is required to keep a VPN tunnel alive on a cell network?  I
think we should test that.

I know that Teamviewer will work to a remotely connected cell network
connected device.   So it appears that this should be possible via a
central server.

Adding a Linux box as Rafael mentioned could simplify some of this but
it sure would be nice to not have another computer to maintain.

Hmmm....  this is sort of what I was thinking but they actually using
Teamviewers VPN!
http://superuser.com/questions/402223/how-to-route-internet-connection-through-teamviewers-vpn

Thanks for the ideas guys..

Dave