On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com>
wrote:

> On 10/29/2015 11:48 AM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >   re: the cinci at MPM
> > When they push the arrow key to move an axis the machine keeps moving. A
> > couple weeks ago the X axis was the only one doing this but now other
> axes
> > demonstrate this feature.
> > They disconnect the keyboard, use the mouse to move the axes with using
> the
> > +/- buttons and get the same result.
> > What should the next focus be to troubleshoot this?
> >
> > Ubuntu 8.04
> > LinuxCNC 2.4.?
> > Axis Display
>
> You say: after you release the key, the machine keeps moving.  Does it
> stop moving a second or two later?

I am told it does not stop until the end of travel

> Both of those jogging mechanisms (keyboard and GUI-button) are of the
> non-realtime "UI to Task to Motion" variety.  The non-realtime parts of
> that chain (GUI & Task) can have unpredictable timing, resulting in
> delayed commands getting to Motion, resulting in jogs that go on for a
> short while after the key is released.
>
> As Dave Caroline said, one option is to lighten the load on the system
> so that more resources are available for Axis and Task.  You can run
> "vmstat 1" in a terminal to see if the machine is swapping or paging,
> which would suggest adding RAM or killing background processes.
>
> The best option is to jog with a hardware jog-wheel connected directly
> to Motion via HAL.  That bypasses the problematic non-realtime stuff
> entirely.
>
> Unfortunately Motion does not have continuous-jog inputs (which is what
> the keyboard and the GUI + and - buttons do), but i bet it wouldn't be
> hard to add (he said, not having looked at the code).

Shannon at MPM will change the ram on the machine. He said it has been
acting SLOW and strange lately. When I mentioned Dave's comment Shannon
agreed instantly that could be the problem.
We will see.
thanks guys for the quick help and insight
Stuart

> --
> Sebastian Kuzminsky

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.