> On Nov 9, 2015, at 11:59 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 9 November 2015 at 17:47, Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com> wrote:
>
>> It is a shell script that changes instance of "space E digit" with " space A
>> digit" (as Axis is configured to use A as the 4th axis). This gets me half
>> way there - the nozzle would close, but I need to add a similar line
>> following a rapid but only following a retract. That would be safest I think.
>
> If I was you, and had a machine ready to go, I don't think I would be
> patient enough to do the job properly, and I would be using search and
> replace in Gedit or Notepad++

Hi Andy,

Indeed! I actually plan to start out with no nozzle actuator working - that is
the way MIT has been running their glass printer. That just means starting with
single walled items such as vases. I definitely want to get that working before
I attempt more complex forms.

That said, I can certainly manually prepare a test file with retraction, but if
I had such a script in place I think Axis will work just like a 3D printer
allowing far more complex forms to be printed. I could essentially “forget
about it” and just feed it g-code like I do my other 3D printers.

> It would actually be easier for a script/regex if the rapids were G0
> moves rather than G1.

True, I was trying to think of something that will work without customizing the
g-code so I can use any slicer.

> So, what is the criterion for spotting the difference between a rapid
> and a feed? You lines marked "rapid" have bigger F-numbers than the
> non-rapids.

Correct that would be the criteria for rapid - which could be set to any number
in most slicers such as F6666.66 or what you may prefer.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
<3DTOPO.com>