> On 11/09/2015 02:34 AM, Andrew wrote:
> >> there were hydraulic milling machines sold based on Moog hydraulics
> >> and Bridgeport iron.  I assume those two companies could screw things
> >> up, but the world has moved on.  To move a long distance takes a lot
> >> of power.  Small movements with a lot of force behind them are really
> >> easy, that's why you see fatigue machines and other shorter stroke
> >> machines with hydraulic servo.
> >>
> >> AFAIK the problem of hydraulic actuators is low efficiency. There should
> > be a high pressure high rate pump to provide high velocity and force. But
> > when the actuator doesn't move it all goes via baypass just heating the
> > fluid. Probably adjustable pump could help but it gets more complicated
> > (just a guess).
> >
> Yes, some systems had fixed displacement pumps and
> regulating valves, others had variable-displacement pumps.
> Then, you have to provide cooling for the variable
> displacement pumps so it doesn't overheat when the machine
> is idling.  In either case, the drive motor has to be quite
> huge, so there is plenty of energy wasted, and they make a
> HUGE amount of noise.  So much that sound barriers have to
> be placed around the hydraulic power pack.
>
> Talking about hydraulics and CNC...
There's an old (~40 years) CNC lathe in our lab
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cxnv0luduo11uf/SAM_2154.JPG?dl=0
It has hydraulic boosters (amplifying valves) for the ballscrews
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnkle9elu8lh90p/SAM_2157.JPG?dl=0
A low-torque stepper motor rotates the valve, then the hydraulics rotates
the ballscrew.
There's a pretty large hydraulic power unit behind
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqajpxwd8xs4dd7/SAM_2219.JPG?dl=0
It has 7.5KW motor
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ypf3d3yryb3dcq/SAM_2151.JPG?dl=0
We turned the lathe on some time ago, the noise was very bad.
Its spindle gearbox with electromagnetic couplings also makes a lot of
noise at high speed.
The whole CNC with hydraulics was very unreliable, so these lathes had not
worked for a long time back then.

Andrew