Ok, updated the 7i77 per your instructions.  That seemed to work.  It got
rid of the messages when 2.7.3 starts up.  So far so good,

When I now F2 enable the machine I get a slew of "hm2/hm2_5i25.0: Smart
serial card hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0 error = (4) Extra character" each with a
..."error = (13) Communication error"

Looks like something is still mismatched?

FWIW, it looks like the 5i25 is ver 1.43.  Newer than it was, though not
sure if that is the latest.

Thank you,
Stephen