Don't get too carried away with Earth as the most important part of
grounding.  After all those big metal tubes that fly through the sky aren't
connected to ground and they have all sorts of power systems from DC to AC
(if you can afford business class).

The point is to make sure that the current that leaves from one location
ends up back there since current only flows when there's a complete circuit.

John