On Fri, Jan 22, 2016, at 09:25 AM, John Thornton wrote:
> Do you need some kind of special base for the OPTO-22's?
>
> JT

"Need" depends on how nice you want it to be.  There are boards
that you can plug the modules into, which provide terminal blocks
for the field wiring and various connectors for the PC side.  Or you
can stick them on perf-board and solder to the pins.

8 and 16 channels with an edge card connector (cheap but not wiring friendly):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191600515192
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360808923888

4 channels, screw terminals both sides (could work for Andy):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191600515192
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301423583767
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221984073559

16 channels, ribbon cable connector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161900394204
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361457510181
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361457510183
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161900394204
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361457510189

24 channels, edge card connector
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281648368461
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181111089730

Note that the 50-pin I/O cables on the Mesa cards uses a pinout
that was defined by Opto-22.  99% sure you can plug one of
those cables directly into a 16 or 24 channel board and control
any mix of modules, input or output, AC or DC.  I'm less sure
that the pinout on the 24 channel boards with an edge connector
is the same as on boards with a 50 pin header, but I think it is.

The Mazak that we retrofitted at the CNC workshop years ago
had three 24-channel boards that handled all the I/O - toolchanger,
hydraulics, interlocks, limit and home switches, etc.  It is a very
nice way to manage I/O.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm