It may not be the most economical solution, but this is why I oftentimes
include a PLC in the CNC control cabinet.
I can mix and match I/O and drive it via Modbus RTU or TCP and be done
with it.  If you want to use the logic in the PLC you can. If not just use
it as a dumb I/O brick/block with your choice of I/O.  A lot of PLCs are
floating around on Ebay for dirt cheap prices.    By the time you buy an
opto 22 block, mounting strip, and individual blocks you can buy an
entire PLC.   The Automation Direct PLCs over here have Modbus RTU ports
even on the new $69 units and now they have a PLC with Ethernet built in
for a little more.

Dave