On 02/08/2016 08:52 PM, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Noise in analog will reduce the effective resolution, whereas noise in
>> digital can be easily filtered and the resolution stays constant.
>> Analog signals cannot be isolated easily and trying so results in
>> awkward non-linearities that need to be compensated. A digital signal is
>> easily isolated and does not require complex compensation.
>
> Yes analog signals certainly have problems in particular with
> isolation barriers and noise but replacing with high resolution and
> bandwidth require quite a lot of bits per second.

It is a misconception, to think that the bandwidth of an analog channel
is higher than a digital one. It is actually reversed, where the
/effective/ bandwidth of a digital channel is higher than an equivalent
analog channel.

The number of bits required goes to the root of Shannon's information
theory. We see how effective it is in our daily life everywhere and it
is better than analog.

Telephony has been digitalized completely today. Television has
transitioned from analog to digital, freeing more than 50% of the
bandwidth, while increasing the number of channels. Radio will follow
(currently running parallel).

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)