On 09.02.16 11:23, andy pugh wrote:
> On 9 February 2016 at 09:10, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net>
> wrote:
> > The two-terminal dongle would be used for half-duplex, with separate
> > grounds, relying on less than 7v float.
>
> This is where things get iffy. Imagine that I have the 2-terminal
> dongle plugged into a laptop. What do I use for a gnd? Stuff a wire
> down the side of the USB connector? trap the wire in the hinge? :-)

If the question has an element of seriousness, I'd suggest plugging a
naked USB connector into a spare USB port, with a soldered connection to
the shroud. That's less invasive than digging in to the earth wire in
the charger cable and then covering the violation with heatshrink
tubing. In either case, I'd interpose a 100 ohm resistor in the GND
link.

> Looking at Modbus specs,even the "two wire" version has a common. My
> dongle doesn't.

If twice the intended bus bias R values appear at both Tx and Rx ends,
then there will be a high resistance (e.g. 2720 ohm) DC connection
between GNDs and VCCs end-to-end, I figure. As the signal is
differential, that will have otherwise floating GNDs bobbing up and down
a bit, but held within common mode limits if there is no low impedance
source involved, I expect. It should work, at least some of the time.

But a 1999 "Circuit Cellar" "Designing RS485 Circuits" article says:
"To comply with the specification, all of the nodes must share a common
ground connection. This ground may be isolated from earth ground. The
ground wire provides a path for the current that results from small
imbalances in the balanced line. If the A and B outputs balance exactly
with equal, opposite currents, the two currents in the ground wire can-
cel each other out and the wire carries no current at all. In real life,
components don't balance perfectly; one driver will be a little stronger
and one receiver will have a slightly larger input impedance.

Without a common ground, the circuit may work, but the energy from the
imbalance has to go somewhere and may dissipate as electromagnetic
radiation. The RS-485 specification recommends connecting a 100-ohm
resistor of at least 0.5 W in series between each node's signal ground
and the network's ground wire, as Figure 1 shows. This way, if the
ground potentials of two nodes vary, the resistors limit the current in
the ground wire."

That seems to cover it.

Erik