On 30.03.16 17:13, andy pugh wrote:
> In the end, I fitted a different VFD which has a pre-written HAL driver.
> It also only has two connections for RS485, so is less confusing.
> I found a way to connect the dongle to the motherboard header:
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/30675-on-motherboard-modbus-rs485-connection
> They are so cheap that I was prepared to go through a couple
> experimenting, but it works fine.

Andy,

That is an inspired solution to the ungrounded dangling-dongle problem -
well worth emulating.

Incidentally, is that cable in the last picture twisted pair? Shielded
or no, is its characteristic impedance controlled?

I wonder if the dongles have a 110 or 120 ohm termination, or you need
to add that yourself?

It's usual to put a 100 ohm resistor in a ground wire run between ends,
to take up a difference due to leakage, but not cause big ground loops.
That's in data networks - I can't say for sure it's least imperfect in a
machine situation.

Erik