Thanks Todd
before i dig into your code, i read the thread
and if i understand correctly, then i can rephrase what you did
( my standard test for whether i understand ;-)

i think you commanded W and added the delta to the W while the custom M
code was in effect.
true?

i did similar for sink edm with linuxcnc
but always returned to the position where the M code was called before
returning control to linuxcnc
it worked with servo and stepper because i commanded a small position
change till the difference was 0
literally a do while loop ( all in hal )

tomp