thanks todd
i also used the offset component
so it sounds familiar
the offset component was returned to original position simply by nudging
till offset was 0

tomp

On 02/14/2016 06:54 AM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> I'm not quite sure I understood your reinterpretation of what I tried to
> explain.
hahaha np
> What I did was, command Z and W to a common safe position. Then issued my
> slaving command, The slaving command disconnected the W-motors from the W
> position command and reconnected it to the Z through an offset and did
> similar things with the W Feed back loop.  The offset is the difference in
> position of the W and Z at the slaving position.
similar, i actually let the slaved axis move according to gap voltage
between 2 limits ( upper lower)
this is edm so the motion is at best a jiggly chacha towards a destination
the chacha is at the micron level as the best tool position varies
continously
an aside: if the tool tip is at the start position too long , it exits
saying 'I'm stuck/shorted'
                if the tool tip is at the bottom continuoisly for a
given time, then it exits saying 'all done'
so it aborts the program or signals its ok to return to original
position, and then continue interpretation
> The custom M-codes just twiddle the control pins of a couple of Mux2s in hal
> and calculate number to plug into the offset.
i had a different task
a window comp was monitored and i moved forward or backward 1 unit of
measure or did nothing
(3 actions based on window comp) so the unit motion was simply
added/subtracted to the offset
but limited by the upper ( start position ) and lower ( full depth -
overcut)

interesting post
there may be other applications looking for independant motion ( orbital
welding? polishing?
the ancient linuxcnc 'weave weld'? )

thanks
tomp