On Monday 15 February 2016 19:08:34 Bertho Stultiens wrote:

> On 02/16/2016 12:57 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am using some micro-mini roller lever junk I got for 6 bucks a bag
> > of 10 from ebay.  Repeatability according to my dials is well within
> > .001" even with crap switches.  Its a "dry' circuit, so as long as
> > the contacts are clean, there's very little other wear.  MMMV after
> > a long time, but its not beem noticable in 6 months now.
>
> That is interesting. That would be better than 0.0254mm, which is in
> the order of the machine step-size.
>
> I'd seen some reports on the net of repeatability in the order of
> 0.005mm (~0.0002"), but the problem is that "hard" data is not
> available. It is difficult to decide on anecdotal evidence.
>
> However, it seems that you have the same experience and the cheap
> micro-switches are really good after all (that is, of course, a
> relative statement of really good).

Yes it is, I tried to use them in the motor reversal and limit switch
control of the jig flipper I had rigged to tip in and out a stopper that
a board whose end was about to be carved was being located by it, < a 2
amp load.  They were good for perhaps 20 or 30 cycles doing that.  So I
replaced them once, and then kept a screwdriver handy so I could reach
over and give it some brogan maintenance when it miss-behaved.  Then
that part of the project was finished, so I tore down that jig & stored
it up in the other shed.  Hopefully I'll never use it again in this
lifetime.

OTOH for dry,logic level contacts, they've been fine.

And since I've hit a roadblock in mahogany carving for lack of a cutting
tool that should arrive this friday or saturday, so I am back to making
an alu coated floor as I carve out a camera mount for this mill, which
will supposedly be removable and re-installable without spending a
couple hours recalibrating the machine.  Dovetail joints etc.

Looking a bit fugly on one side as I was pushing the tool too hard and
too deep, so it walked sideways about 30 thou, amazingly without
breaking a 1/4" 4 flute SC mill.  The text in the MDI command line is so
small I missed a missing decimal point, so I sat down and wrote a 2 loop
nested proggy to do it in 40 LOC.  Worked just fine. Tommorrow I need to
drill & tap a few 3mm holes to serve as camera aiming adjustments & then
it will be about ready for use. But if I see that guy Murphy that wrote
all those laws about how things can go wrong, coming my way, he's dead,
stone cold dead. ;-)