On 02/17/2016 04:28 AM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
>> I'm now considering to take an old CD player and move the
>> laser-assembly onto several micro-switches at different speeds. The
>> laser-assembly is sub-micrometer accurate (CD track-separation runs at
>> 1.5...1.6 um) and generally uses a simple stepper.
>
> They don't get that accuracy with the stepper. The lens is suspended on
> springs and uses magnetic coils for fine positioning radially for
> tracking and vertically to focus.

You are right. I was overly optimistic and too eager to use something on
my desk. It is a darn difficult task to make something accurate.

I did a wholy unscientific test on a no-name micro-switch with my
calliper (0.01mm resolution) and was looking at about -0.01/+0.05mm
variability. Most of that variability was most likely caused by me not
holding the switch firmly enough.

However, it does show that the activation of the switch is pretty
consisent. It looks like a +/-0.01mm repeatability is readily in that
switch (if not better), which again seems to align pretty well with
other's experience.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)