On Sunday 13 March 2016 00:19:35 Danny Miller wrote:

> Without an external braking resistor, the deceleration is much more
> limited.  What happens is the back EMF charges the main bus capacitor,
> and it will go into an overvolt error and simply freewheel to avoid
> charging it further to a point where it will damage the cap.
>
> I have a 3KW air-cooled milling spindle.  It had no problem with a 2
> sec spinup time to 18K RPM.  However, it went to an overvolt condition
> with a 3 sec spindown time, I had to bump it to 5 sec.
>
> The X200/WJ200 manual shows braking torque is as low as, I believe,
> 20%-40% of spinup torque without a resistor.  With a resistor, it can
> be as high as 150%.
>
>  From my experience with the Hitachi X200 VFD, I didn't see any
> visibility to current RPM.  The acceleration period I had as a
> controllable parameter was a fixed time, i.e. 2 sec to 18K RPM but if
> you only specified 5K RPM target, it'd still take 2 sec.  I presume
> that also meant if you were at 5K RPM and specified 6K it would take 2
> sec to accelerate which is unnecessarily slow.  And keep in mind the
> acceleration isn't a parameter provided with the RPM set.  It would be
> set separately and is part of the configuration.  I don't even know
> how to program those config parameters from Modbus.
>
> I think the manual described a 2-stage option, X seconds to RPM1 then
> Y seconds to RPM2.  Doesn't really change things though.  I didn't see
> an "seconds per K RPM of speed difference", as in, an ACTUAL
> acceleration.
>
> Danny

Thanks Danny.  I'll have to investigate the little booklet manual that
came with it to see what sort of a braking R is needed, and a wild guess
at what its wattage would need to be to survive a 50 peck g33.1 hole
tapping session.  I think it mentioned it, but it wasn't something I was
concerned about at the time I was verifying that it would at least run.

I haven't used a braking R per sei with Jons amplifier, but I do know it
will dump back into the supply, blasting it from 125 volts to enough to
clear a 7 watt 127 volt night light style of a C7 lamp in just a few
cycles of that.

I hadn't even considered the need for the braking resistor, so that will
obviously need to be arranged for.  Glad you brought it up, thanks.