Are you manually assigning IPs or are you using DHCP?
There must be only one active source for DHCP on a LAN. You can use more but
only if each one is serving IPs for different private IP address ranges. A DHCP
source must be always on, or be turned on and ready before the systems it's
assigning IPs to are turned on. So if your router is the DHCP source and you
turn it off, your computers, printers etc can lose track of one another.
Another method of not manually assigning IPs on each individual computer or
other devices is with a BOOTP server. From a central source you can assign IP
addresses to MAC addresses. 'Course you then need a BOOTP server process
running on an anways or first on computer, or a router/modem with BOOTP
capability - and you get to type in a bunch of MAC addresses.
For my little LAN I manually set the printer's IP addresses but let the
internet router use DHCP to assign IPs to the computers since I'm not currently
doing any file sharing among them.
I also set the printers to high numbered addresses like 192.168.0.186 and
192.168.0.192 so that the DHCP won't do stupid things like assigning a computer
the same IP as a printer. It starts at 192.168.0.2 and increments the last
number up from there.
In my experience with Windows and networking (going back to version 3.0),
Windows has an issue with forgetting where printers are when they have
dynamically assigned IP addresses. Newer versions of Windows have a "dynamic"
network printer option that's supposed to get around that but I haven't tried
it. Setting a fixed IP and installing drivers for each printer on each computer
works and stays working because it's not allowed to be altered by the whims of
software.