On Wednesday 06 April 2016 04:27:17 andy pugh wrote:

> On 6 April 2016 at 02:53, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > one plunge takes  more time than the halscope can watch in 1 sweep.
>
> You can set a sample time multiplier in Halscope to sample for longer.
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/tutorial.html#sec:tutorial-halsc
>ope

I found that after I had posted, but locating a suitable triggering
signal was my next hurdle. I finally did get a stable display but
haven't anaylized it fully yet.  I wanted to see the Z reversal in
enough detail to see the backlash move.  What I am seeing is almost too
blended in to make a sure correlation between that, and a potential
count loss when the Z cannot, with its backlash comp, keep up.  I am
hearing some oddities in the sound at that point, which do go away if I
further restrict the speed of the spindles turn around.  Or if I reduce
the working rpms, either condition giving Z more time to stop, do the
backlash takeup, and accelerate back to the pace the spindle rpm needs
for a G33.1's turnaround at the bottom of the stroke.  The way I apply
the accel limit to the spindle results in a straight line ramp out of a
limit3, from the fwd revs to the same revs in reverse.

What I would like to do is synth a flat spot at about 5 revs in the ramp
just as it reverses so that Z has time to do the backlash comp move
before the spindle accelerates back to the nearly same speed in reverse.

Obviously I also need to find and fix the backlash too, which may be in
the nut just below the motor coupling, which is some sort of a high
friction locknut, but is NOT double nutted.  When I assembled it
originally I had to lock the screw between 2 pads of wood to hold it
tight enough to turn the nut, and was not at all happy that I had it
correct.  Now it is assembled, so I'll have to grab the lovejoy and hope
that between the superglue and its bolt being about 1/16 of a turn from
stripped, that it doesn't slip in the lovejoy. The stub sticking up was
machined down to 10mm's when on a 16mm screw, it could easily have been
at least 12mm's, giving the lovejoy that much more radius to use for
traction. IMO, the screw should have been a 25mm screw, that head is
heavy, with as of yet, no means of counterbalancing the weight. Some
weak gas springs are on my buy em if I see them grocery list.

So is a replacement 25mm screw, thrust bearing, nut and nut holder if I
ever see it as a kit intended for the G0704/BF20 on fleabay.

Thanks Andy.