On 13.06.16 08:20, Greg Bentzinger wrote:
> I may have to foam the conduit tube to seal it up as I can't conceive
> of a simple (cheap) way to keep them out at the hinge point.

It may be worth solidly wadding a long plug of glasswool/rockwool before
and after, or just in place of the foam. Rodents are agents of Murphy,
and don't take hints. In Denmark in the early 50s (postwar reconstruction)
it was hard to buy good cement. My parents mixed broken glass into the
concrete to stop the rats digging through it into the indoor pigpens on
the farm.

> I also recently acquired a CNC turning center and have not begun to
> think about if/how mice might attack that.

Rather than have to eternally fuss with keyboard covers and grilles on
all enclosure openings, I'd be putting out various brands of rodenticide
in rotation (to defeat the smart ones), and maybe install a warbling
ultrasonic siren, turned on at night to flood the workshop with lots of
dB of pain to rodents. A sensor switch on all entry doors should
automatically silence the siren, as high levels of ultrasound can damage
human hearing, even though it is not heard. (There may be commercial
units, only loud enough to be annoying, and therefore safer. Heck, they
might even be OH&S compliant if you also put enough signs up.)

Is there any chance of eliminating any and all potential food sources in
the vicinity? Yeah, we have rats around the intermittently occupied
house on the farm, and the pests bring their own food.

It sounds like an unattractive and very frustrating type of problem.

Erik