They make spray foam special for anti rodent and insect use.  No idea
where you live but around here you can buy a can of it for maybe $7 at
Home Depot.   It does not use poison but has some other stuff that
rodents simply will not chew on.    It's called "Great Stuff" and
comes in several versions, get the version for pest control.

They can each through plastic conduit.  Because of this the utility
companies pull what they call "gopher wire" if they find a customer
with underground service entrance.  This wire has crushed glass mixed
into the rubber insulation.

Glass fiber don't work so well.  Wire screen (1/4 inch hardware cloth)
is much better.

Best is to control the rodent population.  they are smart critters so
yo need to go at them multiple ways.  Glue traps, spring traps and rat
poison.  Some are smart enough not to eat the poison but they don't
know about glue traps.  Some will test the glue before being caught in
it but the spring trap gets them.  The thing about rodents is that if
you see signs of one you know there are dozens in the building.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:10 AM, Erik Christiansen
<dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 13.06.16 08:20, Greg Bentzinger wrote:
>> I may have to foam the conduit tube to seal it up as I can't conceive
>> of a simple (cheap) way to keep them out at the hinge point.
>
> It may be worth solidly wadding a long plug of glasswool/rockwool before
> and after, or just in place of the foam. Rodents are agents of Murphy,
> and don't take hints. In Denmark in the early 50s (postwar reconstruction)
> it was hard to buy good cement. My parents mixed broken glass into the
> concrete to stop the rats digging through it into the indoor pigpens on
> the farm.
>
>> I also recently acquired a CNC turning center and have not begun to
>> think about if/how mice might attack that.
>
> Rather than have to eternally fuss with keyboard covers and grilles on
> all enclosure openings, I'd be putting out various brands of rodenticide
> in rotation (to defeat the smart ones), and maybe install a warbling
> ultrasonic siren, turned on at night to flood the workshop with lots of
> dB of pain to rodents. A sensor switch on all entry doors should
> automatically silence the siren, as high levels of ultrasound can damage
> human hearing, even though it is not heard. (There may be commercial
> units, only loud enough to be annoying, and therefore safer. Heck, they
> might even be OH&S compliant if you also put enough signs up.)
>
> Is there any chance of eliminating any and all potential food sources in
> the vicinity? Yeah, we have rats around the intermittently occupied
> house on the farm, and the pests bring their own food.
>
> It sounds like an unattractive and very frustrating type of problem.
>
> Erik

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California