On Wednesday 29 June 2016 11:18:39 Eric H. Johnson wrote:

> All,
>

> I am cutting a dense mat material with an ultrasonic knife. It appears
> that when the fibers are cut I get a small amount of expansion so the
> part to be inset ends up just a little too large, even though it is
> cutting exactly the same size as the base in which it is to be inset.
> I was looking at tool compensations to see if I can adjust the tool
> path by a very small amount (0.005" - 0.01") to make the inset part
> just a little bit smaller, following the example here:
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/gcode/tool_compensation.html
>

> The pattern runs entirely CW, so G41 should compensate in the
> appropriate direction.
>

> The example shows:
>
> G10 L1 P1 R0.25 Z1
>

> Does Z1 have any meaning in compensating only in X and Y?

No

> If I set the compensation for the entire file, do I have to deal with
> individual lead-ins?

One of the problems I dealt with, and found not worth the effort, so I do
it directly in the gcode I write for furniture projects, very handy to
be able to create a huge (.75" to 1.125" wide) box joint for the Green &
Green look, with the proper clearance for the glue line by telling my
code the 1/4" tool doing the carving is actually only .247" in diameter.
With the expansion of the wood fibers as the glue penetrates, its a very
nice fit with a nearly invisible glue line. To loosen the fit, use
a .246" for tool_dia, or to tighten, a .248" tool_dia.

> And of course, is there an easier way to accomplish this?

When dealing with just that small a diff, setting a tool diameter to a
couple thou one way or the other shouldn't be that big a leadin
headache, provided the tool table and the code that reads it, can
tolerate small negative values.  That is something I have not tested.

One side effect of the teeny, possibly negative, diameter value is that
the tool icon in the backplot will probably disappear.  I'm rather fond
of being able to see the tools position in the backplot by something
that can be seen and that is not just the backtrace red line itself.