Hello Gene
Using copper tools to cut steel ( all other variable untouched )
Positive tool is lower wear & slower cut & rougher finish
Negative tool is higher wear & faster cut & finer finish
hth
tomp
tjtr33

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/66135144/effect-tool-polarity-machining-characteristics-electric-discharge-machining-silver-steel-statistical-modelling-process