On Wednesday 20 July 2016 22:34:00 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> Hello Gene
> Using copper tools to cut steel ( all other variable untouched )
> Positive tool is lower wear & slower cut & rougher finish
> Negative tool is higher wear & faster cut & finer finish
> hth
> tomp
> tjtr33

No copper flashing handy, so I used a thin sheet of brass. I made an
arbor to hold a disk, then cut out a 3" disk which I ran against a skate
wheel bearing hard on the down face, enough to bend it slightly, then
followed the demag procedure and lifted it back off the bearing slowly
so it would stop bending at the point  where it ran dead true. But the
1/8" center hole and a 3mm0.5 retainer screw were off center just enough
it took an hour to burn the edge concentric, but once that was done I
could, for shade tree edm, march it right along at about 30 minutes a
slot.  Burn current about 1/2 amp average. I had glued with some si
glue, a nut to the far end so I could lay it down on the flat, but the
GO2 wasn't fully set, so the K2 screwed the adhesion enough the nut fell
off just now. I have one more slot to cut, so I'll see if any of my
superglue is usable tomorrow.

In resuscitating  my previously built edm power supply, I found I'd put a
dpdt switch so I could reverse it, but the way I hooked it up, the dvm
said I had + on the workpiece. It seemed to work ok considering the
voltage was only in the 30 something range. That would match up with
your - on the tool.

Thanks Tomp.

> http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/66135144/effect-tool-polari
>ty-machining-characteristics-electric-discharge-machining-silver-steel-
>statistical-modelling-process

I bookmarked this one. good discussion.