On 9/7/2016 12:53 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 September 2016 01:41:24 Dave Caroline wrote:
>
>> That looks like a board I would not recommend look close to the white
>> sockets near the axis outputs, it has series resistors for the driver
>> optos, these of course are in the driver as well, this means half
>> current through the opto and failure to work.
>>
>> I was working with a free issue board where I met that problem before
> So have I, Dave, and I wound up bypassing that particular opto in the
> board I used to drive my G0704, but this one doesn't have the opto's
> that I know of.  Because they are slow, I've found them far more trouble
> than they are worth as a safety measure.  I'd much druther trust a good
> grounding system, star topology of course.
>
> Thanks Dave.

I similarly dislike optos.  I have doubts that any properly made drive
can even produce dangerous "spikes".   They seem pointless.

I work with a 7i92 card which is ethernet, and thus already offers
galvanic isolation through the ethernet.  If there were a huge surge, it
wouldn't propagate back to the PC.  The PC ain't a high-dollar item anyways.
The AM882 drives all have differential opto inputs/outputs themselves,
there's no case for even hypothetical "spikes".

Danny