On 6 October 2016 at 16:36,  <dan...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> So help me with a bigger picture-
>
> This feature could be exposed to the HAL by Python code alone, so there's no
> compile stage?

Yes.

> Does this require modifying existing files from LinuxCNC, or just adding new
> files?

No, just create a new file called "status" containing that text, give
it exec permissions and move it to /usr/bin then you can "loadusr
status" in the HAL file and it will create a commanded-speed HAL pin.
You could do it rather more neatly, I suspect, in GladeVCP. That code
could run in the background and update a display directly without
going through HAL.

> If I make this change in my current LinuxCNC, what would it be like to import
> those changes into a new version of LinuxCNC?

I think that, as LinuxCNC knows nothing about the component, it will
just leave it untouched.

--
atp
lunatics."