On 10/14/2016 08:11 AM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> On 10/14/2016 7:11 AM, Erik Friesen wrote:
>> @Sebastian Kuzminsky Thanks for those docs.
>>
>> @Charles Steinkuehler
>>
>> How would you link an interrupt to linuxcnc?
> Setup a Mesa card with a periodic timer that triggers a capture of the
> current position and generates an interrupt (the Mesa VHDL code
> already supports this).  In the servo thread, instead of waiting on a
> software timer, you wait on the hardware interrupt.

Pico Systems motion control boards also support this.  I've
wanted to set this up on X86 through the parallel port for
some time (since about 2002, in fact) but it would take some
serious hacking on the PPMC driver.  It looks like it might
be easier with the uspace / rt-preempt kernel than with
rtai.  It would reduce latency/jitter to ns levels.

Not sure if this is a project suitable for the codefest, but
I'll think about it.

Jon