On 10/24/2016 11:16 PM, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a problem with a machine using servos. It is a 4 axis machine
> with the 4th axis being rotary. The linear servos are tuned and working
> very well but the rotary axis is not behaving well. It has a severe
> oscillation and I cannot seem to get the PID trimmed to stabilize the
> servo.

This sounds similar to a setup with a linear scale used as feedback as
opposed to a rotary encoder on the motor. This configuration usually has
a lot of backlash between the motor position (command input) and the
scale (feedback). When a command is invoked it can take quite a while
for the feedback to show up. This makes the control loop unstable
because corrections always come too late. I would connect HALscope to
check the delay between the loop command and feedback. Ideally, feedback
should start coming in on the next servo period after a command.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/