On Saturday 19 November 2016 20:51:48 W. Martinjak wrote:

> I think, this topic does not belong to the devel-list, so I drop this
> to the user-list.
>
> On 2016-11-18 03:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings arm experts;
> >
> > Raspian has a showstopper in its package management dept.
> >
> > 1. In spite of being able to do about 99% of the stuff with sudo,
> > over an ssh -Y login, there is one glaring omission.  There is no
> > reason even when X is not running, why I shouldn't be able to run
> > synaptic-pkexec with it exporting the gui window to what ever
> > machine I am logged into it from.
> >
> > Except its asking for the root pw, and root doesn't have one.
> >
> > Sudo bash gets me root, but then root can't open the display, so I
> > am stuck with the text based apt.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix?  Having a gui to manage
> > packages makes it a heck of a lot easier to do.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> 'm back again from illness.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you are better now.

> Hack in your remote console:
>
>     sudo apt-get install gksu
>     gksudo
>
> enter in the "Run:" field
>
>     synaptic
>
> click "OK".....

Ok, I can do that easy on the r-pi I think. In for the night, we've snow
in the air here, finally.

Yup, worked perfectly on the raspian. The c2's video has quit again,
monitor does not like it.

I have given up on a canned video mode as there is no 1920x1080 mode
listed in boot.ini, only 1920x1200, and thats dead. So I've hacked up a
modeline but not tested it yet.

And my oldest Son is in from Baltimore, buying breakfast in the AM, no
clue what the rest of the day might bring.