On Saturday 19 November 2016 20:51:48 W. Martinjak wrote:

> I think, this topic does not belong to the devel-list, so I drop this
> to the user-list.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> 'm back again from illness.
>
> Hack in your remote console:
>
>     sudo apt-get install gksu
>     gksudo
>
> enter in the "Run:" field
>
>     synaptic
>
> click "OK".....
>
> :)
>
> Have fun.
>
> Cheers Matsche.

That worked with one, but not the other.  Fails on the r-pi, but I
haven't setup that script to change me into the system as user 1000 in
place of pi, I am 1001 yet.

But I've another question you may have some familiarity with:

The default 3des encryption ssh uses, is a horrible cpu hog, and is a
major contributor to the slow x display the odoid64-c2 does.

The man pages for ssh & sshd are essentially no help, but some research
on the net suggested that the chacha20-poly1...@openssh.com was said to
be secure, and wasn't the cpu hog that 3des is.

So I went thru all the /etc/ssh/ssh_config files in my home network,
adding the line:
  Cipher chacha20-poly1...@openssh.com
so it would be the cipher of choice.

Closed all the connections and restarted them. x screen update rate went
up from 3 per second to at least 5 or 6. A worthwhile improvement.
Tolerable maybe.

blowfish is said to be the fastest, but even Bruce Schnirer(sp?) who
wrote it is now saying its been broken.

The 'none' option has been removed from openssh, nearly a decade ago from
what I've read. I've a guard dog no one has gotten by, in the form of
dd-wrt in my router, and I've made the radio at its highest security
settings so even if someone gets into it again, all they can see is the
internet, they cannot see me unless they are looking at my web page.
And all that is in a read only sandbox.  So I feel I'd even be safe with
a rot-13. :)

Anyway, the point of this is, are you familiar enough to know the fastest
of this bunch:
gene@raspberrypi:~ $ ssh -Q cipher
3des-cbc
blowfish-cbc
cast128-cbc
arcfour
arcfour128
arcfour256
aes128-cbc
aes192-cbc
aes256-cbc
rijndael-...@lysator.liu.se
aes128-ctr
aes192-ctr
aes256-ctr
aes128-...@openssh.com
aes256-...@openssh.com
chacha20-poly1...@openssh.com

And is there a way to query the link, that actually returns the cipher in
use? That is so NOT in the man pages.

I hope you are feeling better now.