> You are right, ribbon cables are not very good at carrying signals over
> long cables. They will pick up too much noise if not shielded and suffer
> often from significant cross-talk if too long.

A trick is to put ground in half of them, either odd or even. Then of course
they get twice as expensive.

> The "standard" old-school printer cables (the round ones) are often
> shielded and twisted pair, which are actually quite good.

Twisted pair is the best.

> > For over 30 feet use some kind of differential signaling or fiber.
>
> Differential signaling or fiber is of course better, but very much more
> expensive. You will also need to convert the signals on each end.

Differential signal is the best but I do not how big difference will be against
ground in one of the pins instead. For signal conversion I think RS-422
transciver/receiver is the choice, they are also readily available in different
speeds. Ethernet cable is twisted pair and readily available.