On Sunday 25 December 2016 17:58:00 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 25 December 2016 17:23:08 Chris Albertson wrote:
> > Have you tried typing "sudo  synaptic-pkexec" rather than "
> > synaptic-pkexec" and is your logged in user in the  /etc/sudoers
> > file?
> >
> > Also you can alway just use "apt" or apt-get" for package management
> > at the command prompt.  Much simpler and faster.
>
> Yes it is, no question about that.
>
> But what package? apt apparently has no way to show you whats missing
> that is killing your x. I do have an /etc/init.d/x11-common, which has
> to be running if I want it to display on another machine.  And I do
> have it running that way by putting a 10 in front of the error and
> ferror values in he ini files [joint] settings.
>
> With synaptic its a piece of cake to scroll down the the X stuffs and
> look thru the list for the usual suspects, click, mark install, click
> apply and ok, done. Reboot if needed.
>
> The logs are either non-existant, or silent of any clues that might
> point to a missing package.  And lightdm is installed.
> However, /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf has an empty [seat] stanza.
>
> Please, you who are running an r-pi, with the x gui working, send me
> the output of
>
>  grep -v '#' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>
> The one I have doesn't even start a "default seat".
> I've enabled that, and we'll see what logs if any are generated.
>
> Thanks.

Well, with that, and the 3rd option of logging into x chosen in
raspi-config>boot options, (if I pick the bottom selection there, I do
not have a mouse, so I can't focus the keyboard on the little terinal
window it opens) I do get a small terminal in the upper left corner of
the screen, which is not movable or resizable, but I can run linuxcnc
from it.

But seriously, I need the output of the above command.  Hum, I'll see if
I can get it off one of the other sd cards.  Hmm, no diff except it
doesn't have the default session enabled.  My headache just got worse.

I've had lcnc freeze but the pulldown to quit still works. The power and
enable buttons are turned off and do not respond to any mouse clicks. So
there is no way to re-enable anything, only restart it. The watchdog led
is off on the 7i90 when this happens, so the servo thread is still
running I think.

All my boys have now checked in and wished us a Merry Christmas, and I
did get the z motor to move an inch or so, so I am seeing progress,
which makes me happier.

And I hope you all have had a day suitable to fit the reason for the
season too.

Thanks everybody.