On 12/31/2016 04:34 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 31 December 2016 at 03:07, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
>> But did they fix the problem?  It seems to me that tracking the helium
>> level in the system ought to be something a 6th grader watching
>> mechanical gauges could do.
> Superfluid cryogenic helium might be rather a tricky thing to measure
> the level of.

Well, there are ways, usually using self-heating thermistors.

But, the problem was they sprung a leak in a gaseous helium
line, and lost thousands of cubic feet of helium, and
nothing sounded the alarm until some other system noticed a
shortage.

I'm sure there were monitoring systems for this, but for
some reason, they didn't work.  Could have been so stupid as
the system had the wrong pager number for the guy on call.
I just don't know how it happened, and it is ALL
scuttlebutt, as they are too embarrassed to write a paper on it.

Jon