On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 11:57:25 -0500
Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 31 December 2016 11:12:33 Jon Elson wrote:
>
> > On 12/31/2016 04:34 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> > >
> > > Superfluid cryogenic helium might be rather a tricky thing to
> > > measure the level of.
> >
> > Well, there are ways, usually using self-heating thermistors.
> >
> > But, the problem was they sprung a leak in a gaseous helium
> > line, and lost thousands of cubic feet of helium, and
> > nothing sounded the alarm until some other system noticed a
> > shortage.
> >
> > I'm sure there were monitoring systems for this, but for
> > some reason, they didn't work.  Could have been so stupid as
> > the system had the wrong pager number for the guy on call.
> > I just don't know how it happened, and it is ALL
> > scuttlebutt, as they are too embarrassed to write a paper on it.
> >
> > Jon
> >
> You have to grin and chuckle at that bit of CTA at its finest, its just
> our tax dollars after all.

It is hard to figure everything that can get wrong on beforehand and this could
also cost money. I hardly ever seen anyone mention how much it cost to figure
out what could be get wrong beforehand they just look how much it cost to fix
afterwards and compare against a known problem which is not the case before
hand.

Usually during prototyping I order circuit bord for around $50 including
freight or less if there are several different. Even though I checked
schematics carefully there is always at least a few small problems. Then
someone claimed maybe $100 could be saved including components if everything
was correct from beginning. I say it could have if I spent a few more days or
weeks but $33 or less per day is not really worth it.

Then there are of course more costly problems like problems discovered after
products have been delivered.