On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:39:09 -0500
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> To: EMC <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Two questions.
>
> Greetings all;
>
> I am up2date on the pi a/o this morning.  So my first question is:
>
> Does the code I'm running have the latest commits from the work on the
> encoder, or is that strictly benefitting the software stepping crowd?
>
> In any event, it seriously needs help. I hooked up the analog scope so I
> could look at the waveforms and timings right out of the encoder, and
> with the motor being driven at 60.8Hz, the waveforms are within 2% of
> equal timings, and the overall speed wibblies are no worse than 2 or 3%,
> with excellent quadrature.
>
> But if I hook up the halscope, the apparent quadrature error is worthless
> due to the 1KHz servo-loop timing limiting the bandwidth.  I may add a
> bit of math to measure the loop time to see if there is something
> usefull there, because while I am seeing at worst, a 4% time wobble on
> the screen of my hitachi 1065, doing a capture with a minmax shows the
> huge below figures.
>
> I fired up the minmax, set it for 60 hz, to the motor, reset the minmax
> to start at a steady motor speed and at 30 minutes run time I  had
> logged a minimum of 269.9784 rpm's, and a maximum of 444.8399 rpms. No
> way in hell the spindle speed was wobbling that much
>
> I left it running while I went out and rounded up some din-din and fed
> us, but I must have had a blast of noise because after we had eaten, the
> halmeters showed -1527449 rpms and 525176.6, so I have work to do yet on
> the grounding. Humm, I can't recall if I put the vfd's control cable
> ground under the ground bolt nut, or if it was just dropped over the
> bolt, but I'd bet a cuppa caffeine its loose.  First thing I check
> tomorrow.
>
> Looking at the halscope, the 1khz sample is a mess.
>
> Is there a way I can process the velocity data by treating it to the time
> between samples so its reduced if the last full cycle was longer, or
> amplified if the last full cycle was shorter?, therefore leveling the
> differences in velocity caused by the timing variations? Seeing a good
> +-2% waveform on the analog scope while seeing a quad noise bar on the
> halscope thats just short of 50% of the dc the noise is sitting on, says
> the encoder signal from the 7i90 needs help, or the 7i90's encoder
> itself needs help.
>
> How best to proceed?

AFAIK there are no significant issues with HM2 encoder velocity estimation

Heres a 100 Hz quadrature velocity trace:

http://freeby.mesanet.com/100_Hz_quadrature_velocity.png

Notice theres no discernible ripple in the velocity even though theres
considerable sample jitter (green trace)

(this config has a DPLL but its not being used to
set the encoder sampling time)

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)