On Wednesday 11 January 2017 00:29:01 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> >> AFAIK there are no significant issues with HM2 encoder velocity
> >> estimation
> >>
> >> Heres a 100 Hz quadrature velocity trace:
> >>
> >> http://freeby.mesanet.com/100_Hz_quadrature_velocity.png
> >>
> >> Notice theres no discernible ripple in the velocity even though
> >> theres considerable sample jitter (green trace)
> >
> > Show me that same trace out of a 7i90 running on the spi bus driven
> > by the rpi 3b.
>
> I expect it would be the same since all hm2 encoder counters are the
> same regardless of interface, and AFAIK the encoder driver code above
> the data transfer level is the same for all interface methods.
>
> If you wish to determine if your error is driver/SPI hardware _or_
> simply bad quadrature you can use a hardware stepgen in velocity mode
> looped back to the encoder counter since it generates basically
> perfect quadrature.

I'll see if I can rig my hal file for that tomorrow (later today
actually). Some sort of a set of mux2's so I can dynamically switch it
back and forth.

The encoder is a triplet of ats667's watching a 6" diameter, 60 tooth
gear, so thats 240 transitions a second*rps.  The data sheets say the
normal duty cycle is between 48 to 49 % as a result of the internal gain
controls that hold the switchpoint pretty constant in the face of and
eccentricity in the target. I have dialed that gear, and its
eccentricity is less than a thou. It doesn't say what effect any
residual magnetism of the steel of the gear might do but I tried to
neutralize that by bringing a mag tool base such that it alternated as
the gear turned, close enough to effect that, then slowly removed the
tool base so the mag field faded leaving the gear as demagnetized as it
was going to get.  No effect that I could detect. The lack of a 50%
symmetry in the wave form is unavoidable when using the 667, and when I
remachined the mount, I tried to get good spacings, and my scope
confirms at most a 2 thou error in a 90 degree quadrature.  Thats not
much but I'll confirm that on the analog scope tomorrow before I start
mucking around in the hal file.

Does the stepgen in that mode also generate an index?  And should I
switch that too? I have to assume no, its not mentioned in the manpage.
>From the manpage I gather I should set a base thread since a step change
at 1 kilohertz would be /4, or 250 teeth a second /60
teeth=4.16666666667 rps. Thats about as slow as it will run. ;-)

I also think that latency in the generated waveforms would be a self
compensated error, and invisible to this test.

It sounds like to do this right, I'd need a dual channel Arbitrary
Waveform Generator.  The last time I priced one of those, its was about
10x my paygrade. But 10 years later a dual channel DDS version that can
run at 6MHz is now around $55 USD, but of course 3 weeks away, from
China.

I have some hal code that will do a /4 on the noise, but it would also be
2 to 4 counts behind at a G33.1 reversal. I'll need to establish about a
10 thou backlash in the z, somewhat more than it measures.