On Thursday 12 January 2017 00:27:15 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:11:51 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Two questions.

> >> that

> >> You need to restart linuxcnc to clear a watchdog bite

> > That didn't work, I have since had to do full power downs with at
> > least 15 seconds off time. 5 or 6 times now.
>
> That probably means the  watchdog bite is not the issue but a symptom
> of some kind of system crash.

Which is a puzzle. Despite standing there looking at the "watchdog has
bit" message, only the power led is lit.

I have it running fairly noise free today, and had no such problems.
However it appears that I may have blown the #0 stepgen, as data is
going in, its enabled, but nothing is coming out of other either pin 1-1
(step) or pin 1-3 (dir). So I added another one in the config, and will
re-configure the hal file to use it for the X axis. Where I'm working on
the back side of this is just a hair crowded, and more than 10 times my
clothing has rubbed on the 2" of blue styro glued to the inside of the
garage door, giving be a weak, just enough to make me aware of it shock
when I touched the machine for the first time after walking around to
the back of it.

I had the current to the Z motor set pretty high, and I know just enough
about how microstepping works to know that the current mapping per
microstep needs to be mapped to move the motor nearly the same per
micro-step. But the mapping in the DM860 doesn't match this motor's map,
a 1600oz 4 wire, by a huge error, so I am hearing 4 very quiet steps
followed by 4 huge steps.  I am reducing the motors current everytime
its powered down, and its getting smoother and quieter as I reduce it,
which is promising. So far I haven't hurt its top speed, which seems to
be something north of 120 IPM, about 100 IPM faster than this same motor
& DM860 driver could move the head on the G0704.  Its timing belt
coupled, 30 teeth on the motor, 40 teeth on the Z screw.

But its too long a job to fix the hal file, and fit another block
connector to connect the driver wires to stepgen #2 yet tonight. That
crimper for those teeny pins I am gradually getting the hang of as there
isn't a load a pin, then insert the wire, and finish the crimp position.
But I've managed to do the last 5 or 6 without having to redo them.
Provided I don't miss roll call, there's always tomorrow. :)

Thanks all.