I just checked:
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/ac-servo-motors/the-ac-servo-driver-ac-servo-motor-400w-set

to replace my 12Nm steppers - the torque on this motor is 1.27 Nm (they
rate is as high torque servos) - and is not near 12Nm, that my nema42
steppers now provide.
Guess I need gearbox but this would introduce backlash  - or there are some
brushless servos with around 12Nm torque available?

Any ideas who can provide 12Nm servos if they exist at all?